Monday, November 16, 2009

The price of a double life

I think I've mentioned in my non-anonymous life, I'm a writer. Since I'm about to send out a storm of query letters, I decided I needed to get my writerly website's ass in gear. These days, it's not uncommon for an agent or editor to google your name to see what kind of information is out there about you, so it's good to have a web presence.

 

In May, I bid on and won web graphics, and the woman who designed two mock-ups did such an awesome job I couldn't decide which one to settle on. So I paid for both, and now they're installed on my website. Of course, if I link to it here, I lose my snarky anonymity (such as it is - somehow folks keep figuring out who I am). I'm not so fond of the idea that my two online lives - this here blog and the community it's a part of plus my "real" life - might join up. It's hard being a liberal Pagan milspouse, and I also have to account for an audience I might alienate with my Jekyll/Hyde personality (minus the trampling of little girls in the streets, natch, since I'm not generally into that kind of Hyde-like behavior…nor am I attempting to suppress homosexuality in a Victorian age which then births the Hyde personality… um, anyway). I think my personality is obvious no matter where I am online, but the snarkage here isn't totally kosher. Hence the anonymity (such as it is).

 

But sometimes I want to defy that anonymity, too. I don't mind people knowing who I am so long as it doesn't adversely affect my husband. His career? Pfffft. I'm not concerned with elongating it past retirement in five blessed years. But I don't need to make his work life more difficult, and I know how the screeching neocons he sometimes has to deal with are. They're few, and the vocal ones are thankfully far between in the Navy, but they're out there. And he's shouldering enough just being a liberal service member with a penchant for logical thought in socio-political discussions.

 

Here's the price of a double life. I'm denied the ability to share things that would out my husband as that snarky bitch's miserable schlob. And you're denied the beauty of my sparkly new website. Though I promise when it's time to fold up this blog and tuck it away, I'll link then to the sparkly goodness. And then you can go buy my backlist. Or, if you're a screeching neocon, feel free to organize a massive book burning event in your town, buy every copy of my novels you can find, and burn baby burn (though I'd appreciate if you'd find a greener way to show your disgust kthx).

3 comments:

liberal army wife said...

smiling here.. it's annoying, isn't it? I so so want to post stuff...

fableq said...

The duplicity is an interesting conondrum, and the fear of your "real" online presence and yopur annonymous one colliding.

Mistress said...

I think you are fantastic!!!